Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A New Year

Why is December 31 the last day of the year?

I figured that there was some sort of celestial occurrence which made the ancients deem it right and proper to divide the old year of today from the new year of tomorrow. Well, according to my brief research on Wikipedia, there isn't. We celebrate a new year on January 1 because that is when the Gregorian calendar chose to have us celebrate it.

Which leads into my next question: why is this a big deal?

I understand that it's an opportunity for new beginnings, a chance to leave last year's troubles and foibles behind, blah blah blah. But we all know that our resolutions aren't likely to last past March, and that the new year may have just as many troubles as the last one (and maybe more).

It is good for one thing though. No matter how randomly it may have been plopped into our calendar, the turning of the year inspires a reflective spirit, one that often gets trampled in the usual hustle of life.

For example, the calendar says that another year of my life has passed; have I grown spiritually as well as chronologically? Am I another year more mature, or have I squandered every opportunity for growth this past year? Did I do anything this year that will matter in the next year or the one after that or the one after that? Am I looking more like Christ than I did at this time last year? And more importantly, what am I currently doing that will create greater maturity and growth in me by this time next year?

May the coming year hold great things for you, pleasures as well as opportunities for growth. May you fully enjoy the sweet times and rise to meet the challenging ones. May you find yourself another year wiser as well as another year older.

1 comment:

  1. Love that you're still asking questions - your sense of curiosity is part of what I love about you. In Korea, we're learning, the "Georgian" new year is much, much newer (and far less important) than the Lunar (Chinese) New year, which is celebrated near the end of January. I'm looking forward to learning more about it and finding out if it's related to the 8 agricultural seasons that are observed here. :)

    ReplyDelete